People and their Historic Places
January 20th, 2011
Swaffham Assembly Rooms
‘People and their Historic Places’ was attended by over 65 delegates including Planning and Conservation Officers, Community groups, Civic Socieities and Design and Heritage Champions. The seminar looked at how local communities can contribute to protecting and enhancing the historic environment and included a practical assessment of the local area using a character assessment toolkilt led by Oxford City Council.
The day included presentations from English Heritage on the Localism Bill, Local Lists, How to assess street clutter and how communities can identify buildings important to them, Article 4 Monitoring and how to act as an advocate for change in the planning process. The afternoon saw delegates brave the freezing temperatures for an afternoon's practical character assessment session around Swaffham centre and then back to the Assembly Rooms to discuss the findings.
Speakers presentations are now available for download, by clicking on the desired name:
- Gareth Wilson, Project Officer, English Heritage
- Lucie Carayon, Casework Secretary, Ancient Monuments Society
- David Grech, Historic Areas Adviser, Englsh Heritage
- Nick Worledge, Heritage and Specialist Services Team, Oxford City Council
- Caroline Davison, Conservation Officer, Norfolk County Council