RESOURCES | IMAGE BANK


Name: Wolverhampton Art Gallery

Facts and Figures

Architect: Purcell Miller Tritton

Further Information

Wolverhampton Art Gallery was designed by Julius Chatwin and opened in 1884. The building embodies the epitome of Victorian ideals of civic architecture, including an Italianate bathstone and red granite façade incorporating a carved frieze representing all the arts, and then state-of-the-art top lit galleries. The complex is grade II* listed. Over the last 10 years the practice has undertaken a substantial programme of conservation and reordering of the existing building, and a phased programme of new work cumulating in the new £7m Pop Art Gallery wing.

The £3m programme of work undertaken on the historic building included extensive roof level repairs and reconstruction, particularly to the original rooflights, stone and leadwork repairs, lime plaster repair and replacement, disabled access provision, and a new covered atria over the former delivery yard. Work was grant funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Arts Council, Wolverhampton City Council and Advantage West Midlands.

 

Downloadable Images (click to download)


Wolverhampton Art Gallery